Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What is...

What is yellow, sticky, has hair, and takes forever to put away?

SWEET CORN!

Yep, we're in the midst of it.  The other day when my sister was here from South Carolina, she helped me do 2 1/2 5 gallon buckets worth.

Last night, Brent and the kids went outside to take the remaining ears off what is in the corn patch.


They ended up filling 12+ more 5 gallon buckets!
Ugh.
I was in the house shucking it as fast as I could, and cooking it at the same time to slice off and put in containers.

We started around 6:30 and by 10:30 I was still working on it, with 6 buckets in the basement to go.

That's for today.
This year Brent planted more than ever... because it seemed we never had enough to last all winter.  He planted SO MUCH this year, I don't think we're gonna have that problem.  So far, I have 35 containers made and in the freezer with more to make.

For all the work that goes into freezing sweet corn, it is awfully good to eat throughout the winter.
At least it wasn't ready the week of the fair like it was last year.  That was too much!

Anyone putting anything in their freezer now?

Up next....canned pizza sauce.

3 comments:

  1. You have really done some work here! I love fresh corn. Haven't done any canning this year because of hubby's surgery...we didn't have a garden. It has been so hot here, any who planted didn't have much to share or sale. It is nice to see the entire family working together...the way it should be! Love this post!
    Loretta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday I hope to have a garden and can like this! SOME DAY once we move out of town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got to find a good price on sweet corn so I can get some put up in our freezer. RIght now it seems to be going for $4 a dozen and that seems a little steep - considering the amount I was hoping to buy. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love reading what you all have to say!