Thursday, April 19, 2012

When did I get so dumb?

So, did you know that Amelia Earhart was born in Atchinson, KS?

How about that Kansas is known as Tornado Alley, and the Sunflower State.


Or even that Kansas is a big producer of wheat.

Interesting, no?

Here's one for you...did you know in 1999 that Marilyn Monroe was ranked the 6th greatest female star of all time by the American Film Institute?  Or that she was only 36 when she died tragically and mysteriously?


Why am I spouting facts like the Encyclopedia Britannica?

Well, I live with a 5th and 6th grader.  We're in the midst of research and state reports for end of the year grades.

We have math tests/ Science tests/ ISTEP tests, and book reports coming out of our ears.

I don't remember this much stress when I was in 5th or 6th grade.

And since when does 6th grade math kick my butt?  I LITERALLY cannot add or subtract a fraction to save my life.  (And kids, just so you know...I DO NOT use these on a daily basis!  No matter what your teachers may tell you.)

In the next month we will sit through Opening Day for Softball, a 4th-6th grade Music Program, 6th grade graduation, 2 field trips, a 5th grade Spanish Market, and one 6th grade "Survivor Games" at the high school to get ready for Junior High.

My mind is all a twitter with information.

For example, fear grips my daily when I wonder if I've turned in the right paperwork for Grace's schedule for next year...or whether I've added more lunch money to their accounts, or even if I've gotten the paperwork needed for Grace's sports physical this summer.

You know, it's not like there wasn't enough swirling around in my head, just throw in another couple 100 things to do before end of the year May 25th.

Oh well, those of you with full time jobs are cursing me through gritted teeth..."At least you get your summer off!  At least you see an end in sight."  True.  I'm sorry.

It was time to vent.

Is there anyone else out there even mildly perplexed as to how HARD school has gotten for kids anymore?  How a 5th grader is doing the Algebra I once did in Junior High?

No wonder these kids are burning out so fast.

No wonder their parents are too.

Just sayin'.


2 comments:

  1. I love your honestly about the life of raising kids. Ditto, ditto, ditto to all you've said. It's amazing kids, and adults have so much information, yet, do we know the joy of our mind being at rest? Maybe that's what they call retirement! Ha. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more. My son is in sixth grade, but in our town sixth grade is middle school. The math homework is nothing like when I was in middle school. Much more advanced, and you are so right, can't say I ever have had to use it! I do work, but I can't wait for summer to get here just for the break from homework!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love reading what you all have to say!