Saturday, March 22, 2014

Smells Like Spring...DIY Laundry Detergent

I used to be a Tide buyer.  Truly.  It is a good product.

Except it is usually so expensive, I had to wait till it went on sale to $9.99.  Still, it would only last so long.

I do a lot of laundry around here unfortunately.

Loads and loads.

So, I was surfing Pinterest of course, and kept coming across recipes for homemade laundry detergent.

After seeing it so many times, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the ingredients and try it out myself.

In total, I spent a little more than I would for a bottle of Tide at regular price.  (Total cost around $20)

It lasted me months and months.

I made my first batch before Christmas break, and am still using it, but I went ahead and made another batch so I wouldn't run out.

I mixed it all up in a bucket and stirred as I went to incorporate it all.  I poured it in in layers...so I wouldn't have trouble mixing it.



You will need:
2 bars Fels-Naptha soap (in detergent aisle)
1 4lb. box borax
1 4lb. box baking soda (any brand)
1 3lb. box arm & hammer super washing soda
2 purex crystals bottles 28 oz.  (any scent)
oxyclean (not required, but can be added)

First you need to grate the soap.


I use the smallest side of my grater.  Larger chunks sometimes have a harder time dissolving in the wash.  (not on the hot cycle, but on the cold cycle.)

Mix everything as you go. 

Then store it in an airtight container, and use the lid of the Purex crystals bottle to scoop it out for your load.  Measure it out for each load to the top line of the purex top (for a regular size load, the smaller line for a smaller load.)

I have been pleasantly surprised with how this works.  It still gets my clothes clean, and smells great for days after.  If you have a tough stain that just won't come out, use shout on the stain before you wash with this.

Try it, you might surprise yourself, and it feels good to not buy detergent every couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting...I love reading what you all have to say!