Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Cake...or Fruit anyone?




I finished another project. Check one off my ever growing list.





I really shouldn't look at magazines. They are my downfall....but I love them OH SO MUCH! Oh, and Pinterest.com. It's addicting.


Usually it goes like this. I see something in a magazine that catches my eye. Sometimes I will try to copy it exactly as is. Sometimes I'll put my own little spin on it. This was the case with this project.


I've had a dilemma surrounding my kitchen island (which is really the enamel-topped table I coveted of my sister's like forever...until she moved to South Carolina and gave it to me. Did I mention my sister is the best...YOU'RE the BEST JEN!) and the fruit/vegetables that are frequently laying around on it.


I have a fruit bowl, but it just holds the fruit. What about the avocados and tomatoes I often buy? Where do they go except all over the table!?


I've been seeing these 3-tiered plate stands for awhile now, in every possible configuration out there. Then I saw one made out of old cake pans. It was used for ribbon in a craft room, but a spark went off inside me, and I thought...THAT would make a great fruit/vegetable stand.


So, back to the Goodwill I went. I mean, when you're making a project, there really is NO WHERE CHEAPER than this place to go for supplies.


I got some cake pans and some candlesticks. $.50 each.

Then I painted the candlesticks my favorite aqua blue color to match the color scheme in my kitchen.
I found some scrapbook paper in my stash.

It looked very vintage to me, a little bit old lady-ish, so I knew it was the right choice. (Sometimes I feel like a depression-era lady in my body. Weird, I know.)


It's from the October Afternoon line which I LOVE. This one is aptly named Thrift Shop...Needs Paint.

I cut it into strips the size of the sides of the cake pans.
And I used THIS glue from Michaels. Craft glue. Clear. Very goopy. You could probably use mod podge too. Either would work fine.



Once I had the paper on the sides, it looked like this.

I loved the look instantly. Then I got the candlesticks, and using the glue I glued them to the middle of the pans.
After it dried, I added the fruit and vegetables that were laying haphazardly on the table.
It was a simple project to do. Not very time consuming either...unless you count painting the candlesticks and letting the glue dry. I love my original tiered caddy.


So, here's your challenge. Find something you like, and make your own spin on it, and let me know. Put a link in your comment to let me see it.


Have fun crafting!











12 comments:

  1. I am officially freaking out! That is completely awesome. I have wanted to make something like that but wasn't exactly sure what I wanted. Yours is perfect! I am going right out to get the stuff for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea! The craft paper did it for me girlfriend...I love this! I'm always trying to think of something to do, but for some reason lately I can't get these old grey cells going! LOL. Great project...keep them coming! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, GENIUS! I love the look! I cannot wait until my DAY job is over! Then I can have fun like you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely amazingly AWESOME!!!! XOXO You so get my taste... Now if I could just get your talent and time. I too am a depression era soul at heart but might have to scrimp n save to buy *your* creations! I always get energized looking at what you've come up with -THANKS!
    hugs,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so neat Lorie!!! I just LOVE the paper!! Where is it from? That is so funny about the depression-era lady...I too feel like I was born in the wrong era. The 1930's to the 1950's are my favorite time period. I often think of my great-grandma in that era and how she would be cooking, cleaning, decorating, sewing, raising kids, etc...and it just warms my heart to think of her...I cannot wait to see what other goodies you create!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I am definitely going to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea! I also don't have a good way to store fruit and this is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a super idea! I just came over from the link on Hi There Cupcake (she made one, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well this is just about the cutest thing I have ever seen! I think it would be cute with...well cupcakes in it :O)
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks again for the awesome idea! I tried to find your exact paper, but nobody had it. I hope you had a nice vacation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! I will be going to the thrift store ASAP to make my own version!

    Thanks for sharing the how to :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love reading what you all have to say!