Monday, October 31, 2011

80's Flashback...and a Christmas craft...say what?

I know I've been absent for several days.  We've been on Fall Break, and that's my excuse.  Too much time being lazy/finishing projects/crafts/dentist appointments.

And today is Halloween of all things.  The kids didn't go trick or treating last year.  They said they were too old, and I was secretly relieved.  It's too much of a hassle thinking of how I'm gonna make their costumes every year.  Evan would always come up with a random/hard character, and I would have to deliver.

Then Grace hit me upside the head this afternoon when her friends texted her to go trick or treating with them and their mom.

"What in the world will you wear?"  I asked.  "We're going as the 80's" she exclaimed.  That I can work with, and they just had that as a spirit day this past week at school for Red Ribbon Week.

However, when she came out of her room looking like this...
I had to stifle a laugh.  First of all, the 80's is my era.  I mean, I started Kindergarten in 1979 and graduated in 1992.  The 80's was my generation.  However, I NEVER went outside the house looking like this.  Big hair, sure.  Tons of neon jelly bracelets, OK.  Side pony tails, neon clothes, double socks, pegged pants, ABSOLUTELY.  But a cut up shirt and short shorts, NO.

But these girls are taking it to the extreme, I know, to get a laugh.

What they must think of this past generation to go so over the top.
For a girl so in love with fashion right now, this is rather funny to me.  But I know they'll have a good time.  It's her BFF's she's going with.  It's all about solidarity.

So, while Grace was in her room designing this outfit, I was at my craft table, whipping up a craft that I started with no good end in mind.

I had no idea what it would turn out like.  I had an idea in my head, but sometimes the end result is different.

Our church bazaar is in a couple weeks, and our Sunday School class needed to come up with a craft for the donated craft table.  This is why I was trying this out.
My supplies looked like this.
Clear glass ornaments from Wal-Mart.  Probably cheaper at the dollar store, but I wasn't on that side of town today.


An old book.  One from home, used strictly for crafts.
A "winter/christmasy" stamp on recycled paper from an embellishment.  This ended up being used for something other than the above use because the paper was a little slippery and the stamp kept wiping off.
Martha Stewart glitter in brownstone...and
candy apple.  I already had these from the set I bought last year with my Michaels 40% off coupon.  Hardly ever use them, so I had plenty.

So, first I cut the book pages into strips,
and stuffed them inside the clear glass ornament.
I kept stuffing till it was rather full.
Then I took the tops of the ornaments, covered them with mod podge, mixed the two glitters together and rolled the ornament top in it.
I took some garden twine I had, and attached it to the ornament top and the small tag I made.
Not too hard of a project, and a little vintage looking.

I was pleased with the result, and now don't want to donate it to the donated table at all!  I will, though, and then I'll probably make some more for my own tree.

Well, I gotta run.  Time to take Grace for a night out on the town.  Yipee.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, Grace is tooo cute in her 80's fashion!
    Honestly, was it really like this? So many changes with fads included...
    I really love the craft you made. It is very vintage. Someone will grab it quickly! Don't forget about our giveaway! Have a super week! Love

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love reading what you all have to say!