Saturday, July 9, 2011

10 Things...

Living in the country has changed my perspective on many things. I got to thinking today, that 6 1/2 years ago when we lived in town, if someone told me about country living, and how it was REALLY gonna be, I wouldn't have believed them.




Granted, I grew up in the country. It's not like I'm a city kid. BUT, growing up in the country as a kid, and living in the country as an adult, are two totally different things.


Here are 10 things, in no particular order, that astound me about country living.




1. There is currently pig poop in my yard. Yep, Glamorous isn't it. These buggers are the source of it.



2. I'm more worried about the weather/optimal planting time during garden season now more than ever in my life. 3. The site of my husband in working/chore clothes still makes me look twice (and stirs my blood...) (Now, maybe we should incorporate a cowboy hat...)Don't know why it is, and don't judge me!

4. I know the rotation of the farmer's crops all around our house (one year all farmers do beans, the next corn)...This year it's beans!

5. I have a mobile chicken coop in my yard that gets moved once a day.



(no idea where the summer pic of this is...)

This STILL invites arguments between Brent and I as to where in the yard it's gonna end up. It also brings my cousins constant opportunities for uncontrollable laughter. THIS also creates unwanted poop in my yard.

6. Every time Rudy


disappears for more than a day on one of his hunting/scouting sprees, it stresses me out as though he were another one of my children.
7. I know what the inside of the feed mill looks like, (this would NOT have been cool in high school) and know that the whole month of June they have a self-serve ice cream machine inside for national dairy month. (THIS thrills my children to no end.)

8. Many nights between the end of May and the end of July we walk 4-H pigs. Who would've guessed...walking a pig.
9. My husband persuaded me to put up a pole barn BEFORE a patio. (How in the world did that happen?)

AND LASTLY...

10. I love my life in the middle of nowhere, on a dusty dirt road, surrounded by fields, a vegetable garden, and animal pens more and more every year.

I guess this country thing is growing on me!

5 comments:

  1. Loved it all and am so happy for you! I'm with ya on the surprise of living my dream country life. But tween all the critters here, some poop ends up inside!!! ;-0
    xo
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the rotation too! Corn, corn, corn, corn, corn, corn and finally, soy bean. Love this post and I couldn't agree more, country living is a life changer and I wouldn't have it any other way.

    ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love living in the country! But of course that's how I was raised! Where we live, we are just about a mile from town...so, close enough to get to town (not to mention my kids get on the bus at 8am and school starts at 8:15!), but far enough away! My hubby had a couple years after college where he lived in an apartment in town, and during the summer when I'd visit him, it was so noisy! I like your top 10 list...fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful all of it. I love country life. Too funny that you walk the pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful all of it. I love country life. Too funny that you walk the pigs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love reading what you all have to say!