Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What's for Supper!

Now, if you've been reading my posts up till now, you'll know I have a menu plan. I might not always stick to my "plan," but I try to. It makes my grocery shopping easier, it makes my life easier.
Anyway, tonight was "Taco Nite." We all love tacos. We all like them differently, but we all for the most part love tacos. Grace and Evan like chicken and cheese tacos. The plainer, the better for Evan. Grace is starting to add some tomatoes, sour cream, olives, etc. to hers. She's by far the more adventurous of the two when it comes to food.
So, Grace was gone tonight at a swimming party, so tacos are what we had. Spicy Shredded Pork and chicken tacos. Not together, separate!
First, the key ingredient:

Now it might look like I'm a tortilla snob, buying only the most expensive kind, but that's not the case. These were on sale at Martin's last week, AND I had a coupon. They do taste the best, though, I'm not gonna lie. So, get your tortillas,

crisp them up in the skillet a little bit. Really, it adds more flavor.
Add some spicy shredded pork, from the Pioneer Woman's kitchen of course... (or some chicken if your name is Grace or Evan.)


Add some other key ingredients, like lettuce from the garden that just keeps multiplying so much that at times I'm feeding it to the chickens (did I just say all that, I meant, Lettuce from the garden...)

tomatoes, sour cream, and black olives (black olives, that's how we roll here at the Yoder household)

and here we go....a fabulous spicy pork taco that tastes yummy!

and then of course, some Santitas chips, homemade salsa (recipe at end of post) and some much admired Tastefully Simple Fiesta Party Dip mix (Brent's favorite. If it's not made whenever we have tacos, he ALWAYS questions where it is.)

And, if I'm not mistaken, after eating tacos, this is usually the look I get...

A sideways head tilt with the words, "Thanks for the supper, Mama Mia!" (Mama Mia, who is this kid? No really, it makes me smile every time!)

Try this EASY taco meal tonight. It's different, but good.

Copy-cat Hacienda Style Salsa

1-28 oz. can diced, crushed, halved tomatoes (preference doesn't matter), drained

1 can tomato paste

1/2 t sugar

5-6 diced jalapeno peppers and a little juice

Blend all together in a blender, and serve cold.

2 comments:

  1. We are tortilla and tortilla chip TWINS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got some of those tortillas this week (on sale at Meijer) and they are good! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love reading what you all have to say!