Sunday, February 14, 2010

Keepin' Busy

Today is Sunday. A day of rest...ha. ha. I wish I could be the one to rest, but then, who would do the dishes? The laundry? Make lunch? Get lunches packed/school clothes picked out/snacks packed? I'm totally feeling overwhelmed again, and I don't know how to stop.
As it turns out, however, in the midst of all the craziness in my life, I found time (one project on our snow day this week) to finish two things. Well, really one and a half of one.
On our snow day from school this past Wednesday, I did a very simple DIY project that I had seen on a BHG website one day.
I wanted to dress up my bedside tables. Now, I'm not really complaining, but I have never had a matching bedroom suite. My two dressers are hand-me downs from different sides of the family. My headboard was birthday gift from my mom and dad about 7 years ago (I still love it!), and our bedside tables are just two TV trays that I've painted.
ANYWAY......Here is the before picture...


Pretty plain. I'm totally rockin' my alarm clock, though. I had one like this in my punk teenage years. It has earphones in a little compartment in the side, and has both a beeping alarm/music alarm setting. I found this YEARS later, after I was married awhile, in a second hand shop. It works, may not look the best, but it works.
Back to the table, though. The first thing I did was pick out some cute scrapbook paper that matched the colors/patterns in my bedroom, and covered both sides with clear contact paper so it would be waterproof in case we had a cup of water on the table.

Then I got out the hammer and some push pins to go along the outside of the paper once I put it on the bedside table.

I put a push pin in each corner and 2 on each side, just to make sure the paper was secure on the table.

And wa-la! Cute table.

My next project is only half finished. The Brentster and I have been toying with the idea of putting up an eggs for sale sign in the yard and on each corner of our road. We're getting too many eggs a day, and the people that do buy from us, don't buy enough to keep our supply down. So.....

Here is the first sign I made. This one will go in our yard at the front of the house, and I need to make 2 more for each end of our road.

Brent found a small piece of galvanized metal, and I printed out a picture of one of our hens, and then used my Cricut to cut out the letters and arrow. Then I laminated the whole thing with clear contact paper again, and we will mount it to an old for sale frame that he also found. Hope it works, and we get some business. It would be nice to actually make enough to pay for the chicken feed!

More later!

1 comment:

  1. After hearing of a rash of burglarys ....its funny how you keep "finding things" As people are "losing things" Ha - Love the Brentster name C.J. said he might have to start calling him that. Keep up the writing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love reading what you all have to say!