Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Stir Crazy

Today's snow foiled my plans.
I was beginning to think maybe winter was winding down. We're already two months in, and I'm ready for it to be out.
I've been garden dreaming lately. I'm perusing my catalogs...

and have found seeds in both. I wish I could consolidate, but I can't. Burpee has the concord grape plants that I want, so I can have my own arbor someday and not buy grapes for my homemade grape juice/jelly. They also have my new favorite tomato of all time....Honeybunch they call it. It is tomatoes that grow in bunches, and are the size of the tip of your pinkie finger. you just wash them and throw them in salads, etc. whole, and they don't get all soggy like if you chopped up tomatoes. They are WONDERFUL. However, the Cooks Garden has my heirloom tomato seeds, and my bicolor sweet corn that will be new to my garden this year.
This was the start of my garden last spring.....


Bare dirt and all! The rhubarb plants are coming up nicely and the Brentster has just tilled up another part of the garden to make it that much bigger. I see the grass clots that I still had to take care of.

Here's a little later in the season.

I see a red tomato peeking out at me, and I can't even begin to imagine what my husband was contemplating out there the in pasture.

I found this garden layout the other day while perusing the Internet. I want this garden. It's neat rows are calling out to me.

I'm in garden envy!

In just a couple of weeks, I will start some seeds under the light in my basement, so they grow big enough to put in the cold frame my wonderful husband built me last summer.

I can't stand the waiting. Literally. I'm not a patient person. Ask my mother. Winter is over for me, unless it provides me with a snow day from school.

I'm tired of having recess duty 3 times a day outside, and having to "put on all my gear" to do just that.

Spring, disregard what that crazy groundhog saw, and just get on with it!

4 comments:

  1. I'm SO looking forward to having a garden at our next house and HOPING and PRAYING that I get to do it this summer!! Do you order your seeds out of catalogues? I'm a garden virgin-HELP! :)

    And thanks for the well wishes about the baby-we're SO excited! It made me laugh when you said that Jordan will have to stop eating dessert before his dinner-SO true!! And you may finally tell your husband that the answer to the question that he asks everytime he sees me is "Yes! We finally are pregnant!" HA! I'm hoping along with you to see Spring soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait til spring, too! I have never ordered from Burpee's before...I bet they have good stuff. We order from Gurney's most of the time. I wish my garden looked like yours! So nice and neat....I like to start zinnias indoors. I'm not sure about you, but at the end of the growing season, I'm just about sick of tomatoes, zucchinis, cucumbers, etc...we always grow too much...! and then this time of year comes and I'm just dying to have a fresh tomato from the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you about being sick of certain vegetables at the end of the summer. But now, I'm dying for a BLT with a FRESH tomato. Jess, I do order some of the seeds from catalogs, and some I buy at the store. I'll have to look at Gurney's Amber, to see if they have what I like. It's hard to find Heirloom seeds, and those tomatoes are GOOD!!!!!Sometimes I even go to Country Garden greenhouse over here on CR 15, and buy plants already started. It depends.
    Amber, don't you love zinnas? They are my favorite because they last so long into the season. I can keep them in my windows until I find the cat eating them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. watch it or you'll have the curse of the groundhog........and no one wants to see that:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love reading what you all have to say!