Saturday, October 30, 2010

Spendin' my time

There's nothin' like a day off of school to get me motivated!








We're on fall break, ya'll, so we had yesterday off (we did our errands yesterday so that we could have the whole day home today) AND we still have Monday off! I'm beyond excited!




The kids have been hounding me for months to use the colored sanding sugar we got at our neighborhood store about a month ago. (Don't worry, it doesn't go bad!) So today I got a bug up my butt to finally make frosted sugar cookies. Might as well make the recipe that makes 10 doz. right, and freeze some for Christmas. Good idea huh?




So bake is what I did. For a couple hours no less. Brent was away helping put windows in a house our neighbor owns, so we had the house to ourselves. First I made sugar cookies (recipe at end of post...along with buttercream frosting recipe) and then shortbread cookies with a chocolate in the middle.



Don't they look yummy?!






(Don't judge the blackness of my pan, it's well seasoned!)

So, like I said, I froze most of them for Christmas time. I usually give some to the kids teachers and our neighbors. Today, I couldn't tell ya which kind was my favorite. The kids couldn't wait till I had one frosted for each of them!


Next project: A coffee filter wreath for our Holiday Bazaar at church. A friend and I were in charge of the crafts for our Sunday School class. Each class makes a craft of their choosing, and it gets placed on our donated table at the bazaar, and it then gets sold, and the money goes to the church. Simple right. We've not made the same craft twice in all the years we've been doing this, and this year was no exception. This is just one of the items we made, and I brought it home to make myself to try it out. I'm TOTALLY making one of these for myself. So easy!
First, get all the essentials! A foam/styrofoam circle for the base of the wreath, then some very chocolate satin ribbon (or the color of your choice) to wrap the styrofoam, and to later use to hang.
Brown coffee filters...


Straight pins (already in my sewing box)

and then get busy...
Bunch up the coffee filters between your fingers,
and just pin all around the ribbon wrapped circle.

Until totally covered...

Puff out the filters with your hands to your liking, and then add more of the satin ribbon for hanging.

I made this bow from the ribbon, and added a gemstone that I had. Easy.

I really like the way it turned out. When Brent walked in and saw me making it, he didn't seem as excited or impressed as I was. THIS is why I do the decorating in our house, save for the "tractor room" I am learning to live with!





Cookie recipe as promised:





Soft Sugar Cookies (makes 10 doz)

2 C sugar 1/2 t vanilla
2 T baking powder 1 1/2 c buttermilk
1 C crisco 1 T baking soda
1T lemon juice 1/4 t salt
2 eggs 4-5 C flour

I just mix it all together in my kitchen aid, and add the flour last along with the buttermilk. It says to chill for 2 hours, but I didn't today, and it turned out just fine. Drop spoonfulls onto cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 10-12 min. until edges are slightly browned.





Buttercream frosting

1/2 C crisco
1/2 C melted butter
1 t vanilla
4 C powdered sugar
2 T milk

Mix altogether and add food coloring if desired.


Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I'm copying your recipes and your wreath. What a fantastic idea. I really admire your motivation - I wasn't nearly so motivated on my fall break. In fact I spent a big chunk of my day off being lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies look great and I love the wreath. The coffee filter colors make it!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really enjoyed this post! Shortbread n chocolate cookies are at the top my must try list now. I too am making a coffee filter wreath for my brown bedroom and loved the comment 'bout your hubby... Thought you were gonna say "... that's why I BLOG!" At least that's part of MY motivation; so that girlfriends can give a pat on the back when hubby won't! ;-)
    Happy Halloween!!!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to have to try these cookies, your's look yummy.

    Love the wreath. Your husband's reaction sounds about like my husband's reaction would be!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love reading what you all have to say!