Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chipmunk Love



A Chipmunk.


That's what my adoring husband said I resemble when I get a new purse. I don't know how to take that comment.


I guess he means that since I am NORMALLY a talkative person, whenever I get a new purse, I hole up like a chipmunk and retreat to a corner, and fill my new purse with stuff from my old one.


Did I get that right, honey? (smile, smile, wink wink)


I guess he's a little right.


There is nothing as exciting to me as getting a new purse, and I've been wanting a new one for awhile.


I was tired of my old one, and tired of ones that have a closed top, that when my cell phone rings, I have to scramble to get open in enough time that my phone doesn't STOP ringing. UGH! Anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?


So, last week I was in Target. Not for a purse mind you, but I DID walk past the purse aisle. I didn't see anything that made my heart go pitter patter, except for this really cute, but plain bag. I think what I liked most about it wasn't the one pocket inside (that is SO not enough pockets for me) but the COLOR of the bag.


It was a greyish denimish color. Clear as mud?


Here. This is what it looked like.



Oh, and did I mention, it had a really cute liner? Well, it did.



I walked away from it and didn't buy it that night. When I had saved up my whole $13.00, I decided to purchase it this week. I knew I wanted to change it. Knew it NEEDED to be changed. I thought I could do it. I HOPED I could do it.


So, last night I decided to take the bag apart. I have never done this kinda thing before, and I was a little scared.


I started from the bottom. I used my trusty seam ripper, and removed the stitches from the bottom and the bottom of the liner.


Now, I didn't take pictures as I went. I don't know how tired you all are of my step by step tutorials, so this step by step will be a mystery.


Once the bag was open on the bottom, I cut off about 6 inches from the bottom of the whole bag. I didn't want a LONG bag. I planned on using that extra to make some ruffles for the front, as well as some more pockets for the inside.


Since the bag was also a bit on the thinnish side, I decided when I added pockets, to reinforce it a little too.


Here's how it turned out.



4 more pockets, plus a pen holder, and here is the outside.



Since I'm addicted to these fabric rosettes lately, I decided to add some. I made them, and just pinned them on the front, so I could use them on something else later.



I'm happy with the outcome. I guess we'll see how it holds up. I like the size of it. It fits my small notebook, wallet, camera, phone, etc. and it isn't too tight.


Thanks Target! Another thing off my to-do list.

4 comments:

  1. Lorie! OMG... ten times better... actually 100 times better! You are an amazing sewer and crafter. My daughter would love that bag. Cute Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, this is super cute!! I love it! xox LA

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so so sooooo TALENTED! Truly you do inspire. Tho I may never actually try this, you make me feel I could /should.... THANK YOU! That wreath you made makes my heart sing the same way! Just beautiful!
    Happy Spring ~ Happy Planting!!!!
    xo
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love reading what you all have to say!