Friday, March 25, 2011

Spring on my door

I'm not an excellent speaker. Ask anyone.

I get tongue-tied easily. And nervous.

I'm known to make up words when I'm trying to get my point across ---quickly (my family LOVES to make fun of me for this....something they NEED to work on!)

But give me a craft, and I become someone else entirely. A smooth talking queen.

It all started from the simple fact that my front door was looking very naked.

As a jaybird in fact.




It hasn't had anything adorning it since Christmas, and it needed something.

So, the other night, I bought another trusty foam circle, and began dreaming.

I checked out "Spring wreath" and "Burlap wreath" on Pinterest.com. (If you haven't perused this site ladies, you MUST. Every idea known to man is out there.)

I came up with some of these beauties.... (first one found here)





burlap wreath found here



There were hundreds more, but I liked these the best by far.


They gave me an idea, which is what I needed in the first place.

I already had the burlapy material, and the fabric, and some ribbon, I just needed it to all come together.

So, last night, I got to work.

I got out the supplies, and started ripping the burlap into strips.




Then I started wrapping and hot gluing.

Leaving plenty of fraying as I went.


Until it was totally wrapped.


Next I started making the rosettes I wanted all over the wreath.

First you tie a knot in the middle of whatever length of material you are using...



and twist the sides together (ignore the short stubby hands here. They were never intended to be hand models!)




Then just wrap the material around the knot, hot gluing all the time...

(try NOT to burn yourself like I did about 100 times!)


You'll end up with something like this.



I did this with all the material I wanted to incorporate, and I used ALL colors since Spring IS all colors!




I kept going until it looked like this. I just used my sewing pins to pin all the rosettes on.


I hung it on the door and realized it needed something else, so I added some crocheted ribbon that I had. I think it finished it out nicely. Total cost for the wreath, considering I had everything but the foam circle...$4.99!



My door looks a lot less naked/bland. Except for those numbers on the door, representing our address. Brent tells me they remind him of a prison number. I agree a little. It didn't come out really as I intended last fall, but I have some ideas.

So, tonight I'm linking up to some parties.


Air your laundry Friday at Freckled laundry

And Crazy Domestic

And Curly Willow DIY


Have a great weekend everyone!

4 comments:

  1. That is an awesome wreath!!!! I love the burlap. We have been reading Tale of Despereaux, we are loving it. Thanks again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it... don't supposed you'd dress my door too. It really looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wreath turned out great! I'd like to make two of them for my front doors. Thanks for linking to the Fresh and Frugal party. Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the inspiration. Your wreath is amazing and I am loving all of the colours. That knot hint is pretty awesome!! Thanks :)
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love reading what you all have to say!